The Blue Mosque is a famous historic mosque in Tabrīz, Iran. The mosque and some other public buildings were constructed in 1465 upon the ruler of Kara Koyunlu. This mosque was severely damaged in an earthquake in 1779, leaving only the entrance hall. This building reconstructed in 1973 by the late Reza Memaran Benam under the supervision of Iranian Ministry of Culture however, the tiling is still incomplete.
History of Blue Mosque
The Blue mosque of Tabriz was built upon the order of Jahan Shah the ruler of Kara Koyunlu dynasty which made Tabriz the capital of his Kingdom that was covered major parts of modern Iran, Azerbaijan, and Turkey. He was killed by Uzun Hassan and buried on the only parts of the mosque that survived. The mausoleum was built in the southern section of the mosque and is entirely covered with high marble slabs on which verses from Quran are engraved in Thuluth script on a background of fine arabesques. The roof of the mausoleum and the main dome chamber of the mosque collapsed during an earthquake in 1779 A.D. and was rebuilt in 1973 thanks to the efforts of Mohammad Reza Memaran Benam (a famous architect from Tabriz) under the supervision of the national organization for preservation of ancient monuments.
The diverse Kufic, and Thuluth scripts, the arabesque patterns, and the chromatic Composition of these facades, were created by Nematollah-ben-Mohammad-ol- Bavab, the famous calligrapher. The walls inside and outside had been covered with mosaic tiles.